Friday, April 9, 2010

Adoption Progress- the start of a "paper pregnancy"

We applied to AWAA (the adoption agency we choose to use) on March 31st. We are thrilled to announce that we received a call TODAY that we we are accepted into the Ethiopia adoption program! Next step is to begin some paperwork and sign some contracts and pay our initial program fee and we are rolling! Once the agency receives this, they will assign us a family coordinator who will assist us through the rest of this paper-work process. We will also begin our home study as soon as possible. This stage of the adoption process is called a "paper pregnancy" by people in the adoption world. I always thought that sounded corny but I am beginning to understand why people liken this to a pregnancy. There is a lot of anticipation, excitement, certain phases (like trimesters) to reach and pass. So, we are paper pregnant everyone! Anyway, this collection of paperwork (including the home study) is called a "dossier." The dossier is what we send over to Ethiopia to be processed by their government to be given the ok to be matched with a child. There are a lot of steps in between and we are still figuring it all out. Here we go!

9 comments:

The Kincaid Family said...

Congratulations! Mike and I are praying about adopting one day (though we think we will do so domestically) and we are SO excited about this journey that God has led you too! What an amazing opportunity to be His hands and feet! We will continue to pray for the entire process! Keep us updated!

Noella said...

Yay!! So excited for you! We are privileged to journey with you in this process through prayer. We love you all very much!

carrie said...

Hooray!! Love all the new pics and updates!

Verduin Family said...

We are so excited for your paper pregnancy! We are praying for you guys and the whole adoption process. I am already so excited to meet our future little niece or nephew that God has already selected to be apart of the family!

Danielle said...

Congratulations!! So glad that you are guys have the ball rolling now and are "paper pregnant"!! We will be praying for you in the months ahead.

ElissaM said...

oh my goodness! I am excited reading that like you are pregnant! Not knowing what you are having and just the anticipation! Praying like we would and just being so happy! So stoked for you guys, thanks for keeping us updated!!!

Unknown said...

wow, guys! this is really, really exciting. thanks for letting us all be a part of this! keep us posted!

To Health and Wellness, Rebecca said...

Yay for a Paper Pregnancy! :) We are so excited for you guys and are looking forward to going on this journey with you. We will be praying for a smooth adventure! We love you four (soon to be 5) so very much! Mwah!

Casey Martinez said...

I feel terrible that I am just now commenting on this! I am beyond excited for you guys and now that the process is officially rolling I can only imagine the slew of emotions you all will be feeling over the next several months. A gal in my church is finalizing her adoption in Ethiopia and she has said that it is very much like pregnancy so that must be true! We will be praying steadfastly for you and Ben and we pray that the pieces fall into place in God's perfect timing. So wonderful!!